I love mashed potatoes but I don’t eat them often. While taking the class on pumpkin and pork stew, our teacher taught us this very simple recipe for amazing potatoes. I think I’ll make these for thanksgiving this year!
Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Chives
- 3 pounds of Golden Yukon potatoes
- 8 oz of heavy cream
- 4 oz of milk
- 20 pieces of garlic (pealed)
- 1 tablespoons of chopped fine chives
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 sprig of thyme
- In a sauce pan, simmer the milk, cream, thyme and garlic pieces for 45 minutes until the garlic is soft. Mash the garlic into small pieces or push them through a wire strainer and add butter and a pinch of salt.
- In a steam pot add potatoes and steam until soft (about 20 – 25 minutes). Steaming will make the potatoes less watery and fluffy.
- Remove potatoes and push through a ricer into a bowl. (this is important)
- Add the milk mixture and blend well.
- Add chives and mix thoroughly
- Add more salt or milk if needed for taste and consistency