Recently I have had a few of my vegan/vegetarian friends ask me for some modified recipes so they can enjoy some of my recipes too. This is a simple noodle salad packed full of flavor and you can make it ahead of time and enjoy on a hot day.
Vegan/Vegetarian Peanut Sauce Noodles
Ingredients for peanut sauce:
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 can Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice (more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons sugar or palm sugar
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon of peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for noodle salad:
- 1 package of rice vermicelli noodles – see picture below for type (cooked and washed in cold water to cool). You can also use thick spaghetti if you are in a pinch or experiment with other noodles. You need a thicker noodle to hold up the peanut sauce so it doesn’t get too mushy.
- 2 seedless cucumbers sliced into chunks (I like Persian)
- 3 carrots julienned
- 1/2 cup green onions (chopped)
- In a medium sauce pan, mix the curry paste with a teaspoon of peanut oil and stir until hot, add coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add peanut butter, sugar, salt and lemon. Bring to a boil for 5 minute stirring the entire time so it doesn’t burn.
- Add hot water to make the consistency looser and not to thick
- Taste and make sure there is enough salt and sour taste.
- Add more sugar if its too spicy.
- Toss the peanut sauce 1/2 cup at a time to make sure you don’t over dress the noodles
- Add cucumber, carrots and onions
- Chill and serve cold or room tempurature